Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Homemade Mint Chip Ice Cream

I was walking around our yard a couple of weeks ago and noticed my tiny mint plant was going CRAZY (wow I'm noticing a theme here in my life).  It must have been 10 times its original size.  So, I thought, "what can I make with all this mint?" and my mind went through a couple ideas- mint mojitos (except I don't drink very often, and don't have the stuff around the house- it's so expensive!).  So instead my mind went to mint chocolate chip ice cream, which is probably my favorite (but I won't really say no to any ice cream!).  Although it isn't the healthiest recipe, it was made with a little less fat than is possible.  I love the fresh mint flavor this has.  It's definitely different from the typical mint chip ice cream you'd buy.

My stack of recipes on my Crate & Barrel recipe book holder.  I don't know how I lived without this thing before I received it as a gift a few years ago.


Here is the recipe I found online (can't remember the source, though- will post if I find it):




Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

1 1/2 c. milk 2% or whole milk
1 1/2 c. whipping cream
pinch of salt
1 c. packed fresh mint (you can leave the stems on; just be sure and wash the mint really well)
1/2 heaping c. sugar
4 egg yolks
1-2 drops green food coloring (optional; I leave it out)
1-2 drops blue food coloring (ditto on the green food coloring)
3-4 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate, shaved with a
microplane
Combine milk, 1 c. whipping cream, salt, and fresh mint in a medium saucepan. 
Scald milk mixture (heat until bubbles appear around the edges) and then remove from heat. Allow to stand 20 minutes. 
Combine egg yolks and remaining 1/2 c. cream in a small mixing bowl. Mix with sugar. Set aside.
Heating to 160 degrees
When milk/mint mixture has stood for 20 minutes, slowly whisk about 1/2 of the mixture into the egg mixture. Combine completely. Return pan and remaining milk mixture to the stove on low heat and slowly whisk egg mixture into the pan. Stirring constantly over low heat, heat until the mixture reaches 160 degrees. Remove from heat. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill completely.
Straining the mint

Ready to Freeze- chocolate shavings are added during freezing

When custard is very cold, freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is almost done, add chocolate shavings and allow them to mix into the ice cream completely. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for an additional 2-3 hours.

I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker that I'm borrowing from my sister-in-law.  I just keep the bowl in the freezer so when the mood strikes to make homemade ice cream, it's ready to go! 
I forgot to get a final photo of this ice cream.  I'll just have to make this again in order to get a final picture :)

I saw another recipe where the mint was chopped or blended up with the milk before heating .  I wonder if that would give it an even stronger mint flavor.
Happy eating--
Sally
Linked at Delicious Dishes It's a Blog Party

No comments:

Post a Comment