Monday, January 2, 2012

One Ingredient "Ice Cream"

Is it too good to be true?  You can make ice cream with just ONE main ingredient?
Yes, and it's gluten, dairy, processed sugar, nut, and soy FREE!

The secret ingredient is


Bananas!  (frozen ones)

You need a food processor or high-powered blender (like Vita-Mix or Blend-Tec) for this recipe.
To freeze bananas, peel them when ripe (with some brown spots are even better) and place them in chunks into a freezer bag.





Once ready to make your ice cream, thaw the amount of bananas you wish to eat in delicious ice cream form for about 10 minutes at room temperature, or 30-45 minutes or more in the fridge.  If you are using a food processor, you will need more thawing time.  I started the batch below with a food processor but had to transfer it to my blender.  My family was begging for "healthy ice cream" as we call it so I wanted to get it done faster.  If you use a food processor, this poster recommends holding down the FP so it doesn't jump around so much for you.  Mine was going crazy which is why I recommended more thawing time as well.
With a Vita-Mix blender, use the tamper to force the fruit into the blades.  I'm not sure how it would work with a BlendTec, but they say it can blend anything!  I've added a bit of water in the past (like 2 T) to make it blend more easily, but if the bananas are thawed enough it should work without water.
The tamper is what gets the job done
If you want, you can add other fruit or flavorings.  Above I made banana-berry with frozen strawberries and blueberries (just add a cup of berries for every two cups of bananas, approximately, or more to taste).
Last night I made a chocolate version without added sugar and it was really good.  See recipe below.

You can also freeze any leftovers and let it thaw for 10 minutes before eating it next time.  It might get a little freezer burnt in a short time but it still tastes creamy and delicious.

One Ingredient Chocolate Banana "Ice Cream"
serves 5
3-4 c. frozen bananas (roughly measured with the lines in my Vita-Mix)
1/4 cup water
2 T. cocoa powder
1/8 t. stevia (or to taste, you can get flavored liquid stevias or powered like I use)

Dissolve cocoa powder and stevia in water by shaking in a small container.
After thawing bananas in blender, pour water/cocoa mixture into blender and blend.  Tamp down mixture into blades (or pulse repeatedly in a food processor) until mixture resembles a frozen yogurt.
ENJOY!  I'm sure you will, as we love this.

A dessert I can feel good about feeding my family
Happy Healthy Eating- even "ice cream!"
~Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment